Friday, November 27, 2009

Seasons of Love

Having my friends here is making me appreciate, love, and realize how much I know about Paris (and also don't know...oh well.)

I read a couple of my old blogs and it's weird to think I was wrong about some things and right about others. For example, I said "it's fun to try and communicate with the french". After living here for so long, I realized unfortunately that it's rather frustrating now to try and communicate with them, only because I feel judged whenever I walk into a store, a restaurant or a grocery store. I don't know what it is, but something about me just screams American, which leaves a sense of bitterness between the French and me. I unfortunately didn't learn as much French as I would have liked to, and got lectured a couple of times because of that, but I learned to be quiet and keep walking down the streets, leaving everyone happy.

Something I've absolutely loved though has been living here for 3, going on 4 months and experiencing the change of weather/seasons. It really has given me the grip of what it's like to live in a city.
In August it was hot, always sunny, and felt like summer.
In September, it started to cool down, but still felt like summer, obvious change in some shadows, but still sunny and enjoyable.
October it would rain, but still was sunny most of the time. The weather started cooling down, the fashion started changing to sweaters and scarves, and the leaves were beautiful in all of the gardens and trees. November got much colder, more overcast, and real fall to winter weather.
I can look back in all of my pictures and remember the temperature and weather (Let me tell you how nice it is now to look back on my Barcelona pictures... I was so tan! It was October and we were on the BEACH!)
I am looking forward to December, now that the Christmas lights are going up, and am crossing my fingers for one snowfall at least, to put the spin on my entire experience here. The simple change of posters for movies, plays, magazine issues, advertisements, store items has shown me how fast paced Paris is. One week we left for one of our trips, and came back to our local grocery store completely renovated and owned by another company.

The French may walk with their noses in the air (strictly my opinion), but it's been more than amazing living here... I need to continue doing this in my life; it's too short to live in one city your whole life. I like having to say I have 22 years behind me in Chicago, and I look forward to living in every city I'm brought to in my future.

1 comment:

  1. Emma is back now, tired but happy. Thanks for giving her this amazing opportunity and showing her so much of what you have learned about Paris. She had a fantastic time! I hope your project goes very well. Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete