Thursday, December 3, 2009

Two Weeks

It's December 9th. I go home the 21st. I am not going to lie, I've been extremely sad lately I'm on my final two week count (less than, now). My school finished successfully with two amazing days of reviews of our final projects, my parents are in town now, and I'm having constant flashbacks of the time I've had here. Since this is how I've been living the last four months, it's hard to imagine anything but. I of course miss and long for so many things in Chicago, but I keep looking around saying I'll be back soon. I have to.

Our finals ended very well, we had a long day of final reviews yesterday for our studio project, and Monday was devoted to our Urban Exploration projects. Some very prestigious architects came to critique/judge our work on Tuesday; some worked with Renzo Piano, Frank Gehry and Jean Nouvel. My board turned out beautifully and I've never been more proud of my work than I have this semester.

The final concept of my building is a water monument. I studied the Seine river, noticed there was a long line of monuments along the river, and placed my building near the Eiffel tower to add yet another monument to Paris' fine line. The shape of the skin of my building takes the shape of water, and the programming/movement of my building (from traveling to stationary) is almost like a wave frozen in time. The kitchen is surrounded in glass, as if it were on display in a glass case, similar to any object and piece of art in a museum. The glass panels are there to continue the movement of water along the surface of the building, as well as give the restaurant goer a contemporary view back to the Eiffel tower.

view of the kitchen on display

view from the mezzanine to the kitchen and beyond to the eiffel tower

view from the glass panels

a night shot inside the bar area of my restaurant

overall night shot

My parents are in town right now, and although the weather is awful and the museums all throughout Paris are now on strike, I enjoy seeing them, spending time with them, and hanging around Paris to appreciate my last days here. I really missed them, but I also feel like it's been two weeks since I saw them last. We went on a boat tour down the Seine today which was awesome. I was exposed to actual barge restaurants on the Seine, and got to see all the monuments in Paris I visited throughout my stay here. I know the next two weeks are going to be hard as they wind down, however I really will NOT take anything for granted. I plan to make them the best of my trip! I am headed to Dublin on Sunday with friends, which I'm entirely looking forward to. I am going with Priyanka, Mariana, Trey, and we're meeting my friend Paul again! (from our London adventures) I'll definitely tell my tales from that trip when I get back, as well as a reflection entry during my last days here. I am looking forward to seeing everyone when I come home, but for now I still have a little less than two weeks left! Gotta get as much in as I can!

B

3 comments:

  1. Becca,

    It has been fun to read all about your adventures. So glad you can be with your parents. Have a great time from now until we see you Dec. 22nd! Can't wait to catch up with you.

    Sincerely,

    Aunt Meg and company

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Aunt Meg said. Unfortunate timing of museum strikes, but I'm sure there are many many galleries that your Mom will enjoy. So glad your project turned out well. As I looked at the photos, I felt like I was underwater looking out at the Eiffel Tower. Very interesting sensation!

    Remember my asking you to be on the lookout for the Cinematheque in the basement of the Aquarium (near Eiffel Tower)? I poked around on the net and found it has its own Frank Gehry building now, 51 Rue de Bercy. I'm so glad it's still alive & thriving. If you see it, would you please take a picture? If it's not on your route, that's OK. The website has some photos too. -- Judy E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your parents and you had a fantastic visit. I just saw a BBC video about the snowy weather in Paris and elsewhere in Europe. There is a beautiful photo of the Eiffel Tower all white & gray. It is 37 here right now, but we are supposed to get snow from now til Monday. Hoping your flight will return you safely to a happy holiday homecoming, and that we will see you soon. -- Judy E.

    ReplyDelete