Thursday, October 29, 2009

London Calling

Hello mates

I know I haven't been TOO on top of updating as often as I'd like, so I apologize. Especially since this post might be a little on the short side...I've got a midterm due tomorrow.

On another note
LONDON WAS AWWWESOME.
Man, I keep asking my friends which city they'd want to live in (of all the cities they've visited so far) and my answer back would definitely be London. (with a vacation house in Ireland and Valencia...) For those who haven't been there yet, the culture is so cool. The whole driving on the left side of the road, the 'lingo', and the accents. It's definitely a culture I would love to adapt to sometime in my life. Even their currency is entertaining (but way stronger than USD, so I'd have to become rich before I move over there...)

This is the first thing I wrote in my journal for my London trip. I get a kick out of this kind of stuff...

"So I was on the train listening to "I am the Walrus" and there was an accordian player playing in sync to the song. It was as if he was performing the song himself." That was on the train to the Charles de Gaulle airport. At the airport in London some little girl was shaking her candy box in sync to another song called "Sleepyhead" I was listening to. The little things that make me smile...

Anyway, we got to the hostel safely, but didn't feel very safe at our hostel the first night. It was run by some really weird people, and they wanted cash only for all the nights we were staying there. The bathrooms were always soaking wet, but overall by the end of our stay it wasn't that bad. The beds were really comfortable and bigger than the bed I have here in Paris! Over the course of our stay we had interesting roommates. A frisky couple, some guy who I never actually met because he came in late and I woke up early, two smelly Malaysians and an older man who wore tighty whiteys... I'm always amused by the charisma of these hostels I stay in. I come across some interesting people here.

The first day Priyanka, Paul (the friend of a friend who so kindly met us in London) headed out to start our touristy adventures. First was Westminster Abbey, which I later found out I didn't properly see it, but it was still cool to walk up to and see the Parliament next door, as well as Big (Little) Ben. Our next goal was to catch the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace. The place was so packed we couldn't see over the crowd of people hovering the gate at every corner. This is another part of the culture I was really interested in though... The fact they still have the guards with red coats and tall fuzzy hats guarding the QUEEN's palace. You don't see that sort of stuff in America... We continued the day walking around London, found the Waterloo train station, and got a few good photos of me in front of the Waterloo sign. Apparently seeing a play in London is equivalent to seeing a play in NYC - I had no idea. The three of us decided to see Oliver! It was a really fun musical, and the little boys were so cute and talented.

The next day was dedicated to more 'checking off the list of things to do in London'. The first thing I had to do that morning was see Abbey Road - I'm such a big Beatles fan. I managed to get decent pictures of me walking across just like the Beatles, but it was a one time shot really. That street is ridiculously busy, and I'm sure anyone driving on that street gets driven crazy from all the tourists. There were at least 5 more people trying to get the shot when my friends and I were. I got to sign the wall in front of Abbey Road studios with my favorite quote though :) The second half of the afternoon was spent at the Camden Market. Wow. This market was spectacular! So much awesome stuff there, clothes wise, accessories, vintage wear, artwork, I've never seen such a style like this. I believe I loved this London fashion even more than I do of Paris' and I wish I was able to get something from there. I could definitely get lost looking around in that market, especially since there was a whole branch of stores to discover just from walking through a regular clothing store. I for sure want to go back there. (there was a cute dress I found I keep thinking about! ;-) ) The evening was pretty relax after that, Priyanka met up with her London friends while Paul and I went back to the hostel to call it an early night after dinner since we had to get up early the next day.

Saturday was probably my favorite day yet. I booked a tour for Paul and I go see Windsor Castle, Stonehenge and Oxford. It was indeed a long day trip, but we were on a really comfortable bus so I didn't mind the travels. We first got on the bus with extra charges being shoved in our face - it was an additional 16 pounds each to actually go into Windsor castle, and 6 pounds each to go UP to Stonehenge. We decided to walk around the little town of Windsor castle and save some money, which I thought was a great decision. The town is so cute, and we walked down this "long walk" (literally) that leads to and from the castle and got some beautiful pictures.
The next trip was to Stonehenge which was the HIGHLIGHT of my trip. (We thought it'd be worth it to go up, so we paid the extra 6 pounds) The whole first half of the day was cloudy and literally 5 minutes before we arrived there the sky cleared up and we got perfect shadows and sunlight on Stonehenge. It was perfect We were only given 45 minutes to walk around (which I personally didn't find to be enough time) but just to be there was so fulfilling. Some of the stories they gave to us on our audio guides were really interesting, and just the overall experience of being on the English countryside seeing this mysterious landmark was a great experience.
Oxford was our last stop. I realized how little time they gave us at these places, only because there is so much to explore in each one. The town of Oxford was extremely busy and there were people everywhere. It was kind of intimidating too...the University was established in 1249, and they have some of the brightest scholars in the world that go there. It was fun too though...Hogwarts (The school from Harry Potter) has a lot of its characteristics based off of Oxford, so I felt like I was at Hogwarts. Dorky, I know, but hearing students talk in English accents, I couldn't help myself. The long day wore us out so we relaxed again while Priyanka and her friends were out getting fancy at the Ritz Carlton...

Sunday was Paul's day to leave unfortunately, so it was just Priyanka, myself and her two London friends. They previously booked a great tour package that included Madame Tussaud's Wax musseum, the London Bridge and the London Eye, all of which were wonderful. I've never been to a wax museum before! I got some great poses with the 'celebrities' there.

Monday we left, it was a long day of traveling because we flew in and out of Luton airport, but it was nice to get back to Paris. London was probably my favorite trip so far, next to Ireland (I just can't pick one over the other) and I am definitely going back! (Everyone is invited) Like how I feel about all of my trips, the exposure to each culture is eye-opening, and I am glad to check so many things off my life to do list. It's a shame we're restricted by time and money to visit so many places for a first, and even second time, but do what you can in your life, it's so much better than in the pictures.

Next on my list, and unfortunately last on my list are my trips coming up tomorrow. Priyanka, Mihee and I are going to Amsterdam until Monday, and then flying directly to Rome for our LAST school trip! It's crazy how time flies by, but to see where I've been in the last 2 1/2 months is really amazing. My friends and I were comparing our 'list of cities' we've gone this trip, and the length was unbelievable. November is the month dedicated to getting my work done and my final projects completed, which none the less I am very excited to work on. :)

Here are some highlight pictures from my trip! Enjoy

-Becca

Big Ben

Prevented people like me from getting hit by cars



Beatles wall, my friend wrote that "Let it Be"

Camden Market

Windsor Castle

Stonehenge

Proof for mom!

Oxford

Chillin' with Bob Marley

more pictures: picasaweb.google.com/oolretaw

2 comments:

  1. Hi Becca,

    Boy does it sound like you are taking advantage of being in Europe and seeing as many things as you can. I am so glad you are having a great time. I loved reading all about your adventures, and seeing the pictures. I am so glad you liked London. Let's see what you think of Rome...one of my favorite cities along with Paris.
    Can't wait to see you. Take care, keep up all the great adventures, and stay safe.

    Lot's of Love,
    Aunt Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi binky,

    just read everything from beginning to end, and looked at the pictures. thanks for writing all of this, it's a fun 'mini-vacation' just reading it, and pretending i'm there too!

    i'm glad you're getting around, it is a really miraculous opportunity to be there!

    ReplyDelete